The journey to Ella is said to be the most scenic – especially by train. Many travellers to the island opt for the famed train ride. The Ella rail station is located approximately 271km from Colombo. The town can also be reached via road; it takes approximately 6 hours to reach the city from Bandaranaike International Airport.
The quaint village of Ella does not have a remarkable history as opposed to a number of popular locales in Sri Lanka, however, some attractions are rumoured with fables and legends. Ravana Falls was said to be linked to the Ramayana epic, where King Ravana hid Princess Sita in the caves behind the waterfall. The Bogoda Wooden Bridge, measuring a length of 50ft is believed to be over 400 years old and made solely of wood and nails.
There are a number of street stalls located along the narrow, winding roads selling groceries and essential items. A few tea centres can also be found in the town.
Things to do in the Ella
Don your hiking shoes and prepare for an exciting adventure in Ella. There are a number of things to do here from trekking to Nine Arches Bridge or admiring the mythical Ravana Falls.
- Little Adam’s Peak – Smaller in comparison to the famed, sacred Adam’s Peak, Little Adam’s Peak offers great views of the surrounding landscapes.
- Ella Rock – An unmarked trek to this rock offers a mesmerizing view of Little Adam’s Peak and Ella Gap. Though this gap, you should be able to view the southern coast!
- Ravana Falls & Caves –Ravana Falls and Caves are believed to be linked to the legendary Ramayana epic. The waterfalls towers to a cascading height of 25m.
- Dhowa Rock Temple – Dating back 2000 years, the Dhowa Rock Temple is a protected heritage site on the island. The temple is famed for its large incomplete carved image of Buddha on the face of the rock.
- Nine Arches Bridge – A nine arched bridge measuring 300ft in length, it is located between Demodara and Ella railway stations.
Best time to visit the Ella
The most ideal time to visit Ella is between March to June, when there’s a low chance of rain. December to February is the second most popular time to visit the town. However, the rest of the year brings bouts of rain, which makes it dangerous for trekking and hiking.
Popular events in the Ella
There are no currently no events or festivals in Ella.